Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Winter Carb Bender: Cranberry Raisin Granola Bread

I shouldn't say this because the premise of this blog is to cook with what is in season in New England, but I am fully bored of winter vegetables. Now, I love root vegetables as much as the next person, but I have a dirty little secret. I am already dreaming of the crisp, vibrant fruits and vegetables that that accompany spring. That being said, I have instead focused a lot of time ensuring that Boy and I (and some lucky neighbors) start our weeks off with fresh loaves of bread to eat with breakfast or enjoy with our stews.

Simple, homemade breads are something that have always turned me into a smitten little kitten. Have you ever looked at the ingredients in a loaf of bread you buy at the store? What percentage of that list can you pronounce? The answer is not many. [I once had a bag of hot dog buns on my shelf for an entire summer that never grew mold. I finally threw them out - still in pristine, children-of-the-corn-esque condition - because the thought of them gave my the heebie jeebies.] I was once told that if you can't pronounce it (or your great-grandmother wouldn't have used it) you shouldn't be eating it. I can't think of a better rule of thumb. Enjoy eating real foods and not food products. But, I digress.

For Christmas I received an amazing book that deep dives into the theory of cooking just about everything. Being the huge nerds that we are, Boy and I excitedly jumped into the chapter on the science behind leavened breads and yeast. Who knew what a precise process bread making is?! Certainly makes me appreciate the perfect baguettes you get in Paris. (Yumm.)

I am very lucky that my new mixer affords me the ability to make doughs very easily. I have been taking full advantage.While I am relying heavily on recipes for the most part now, I hope to be using my growing knowledge of the science of bread making to experiment more in the coming months. Hopefully that focus will help the winter pass quickly while I eagerly await for the colorful fruits and vegetables that signify spring!

Cranberry Raisin Granola Bread
1c. granola
1/3c. oats
1/2c. cranberries (or other dried fruit)
1T. butter
2T. honey
1/2t. salt
1/2c. boiling water
1c. lukewarm water
2t. yeast
2 1/2c. flour
1c. raisins
1/2c. almonds, flaked

Chop granola to fine crumbs. In bowl, combine oats, granola, cranberries, butter, honey, and salt. Add boiling water and mix well with spoon. Set aside to cool. In small bowl, pour lukewarm water over yeast and set aside to ferment. When granola mixture has cooled, add yeast and mix. Add 1 cup of flour at a time and mix. Stir in raisins and almonds. Roll dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8 minutes. Turn into an oiled bowl. Cover with damp cloth or saran. Place in warm area and let double in size. About 1 hour. Punch down and place dough into greased loaf pan. Clover and let rise 10-15 minutes more. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment