Friday, February 18, 2011

A Snowy Winter Continues...

For a girl with pretty serious texture issues when it comes to food, I do love me some good tapioca. Growing up, homemade tapioca was commonplace in our house.

Tapioca is chock full of dairy when made traditionally, but there is hope for a non-dairy version. So, for all you non-texture-averse lactards out there, as Bud Light would say - this one's for you.
 I have been testing out unsweetened almond milk recently in everything from my morning coffee to... well, this tapioca. Almond milk is naturally very sweet and makes a great substitution for regular milk. For example, when I put it in my coffee, I don't add any sugar and in this recipe, I was able to cut back on the sugar as well. 

As you can see, this is the small pearl minute kind. (Boo.) I always prefer the large pearl that requires soaking, but my local Shaw's Supermarket just wasn't working with me on this one. 

For the record, this is the recipe from the side of the tapioca box substituting Almond milk, but I will re-write it for you here:

Fluffy Tapioca Cream
1 egg, separated
6T. sugar, divided - cut back at your discretion
3T. Tapioca
2c unsweetened Almond milk
1t. vanilla

Beat egg white in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3 Tbsp. sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Mix tapioca, remaining sugar, almond milk and egg yolk in medium saucepan. Let stand 5 minutes. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full boil. Remove from heat. Quickly stir egg white mixture into hot tapioca in saucepan until well blended. Stir in vanilla. Cool 20 minutes; stir. Serve warm or chilled. For creamier pudding, place plastic wrap on surface of pudding while cooling. Stir before serving. Store leftover pudding in refrigerator.

Try your hand at it.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment